One of the best ways to start the day is by working out. It will help to meet your fitness goals and also keep you energetic. A September 2023 study published in the US National Library of Medicine found that people who worked out between 7 a.m and 9 am were able to better manage weight than those who sweated it out in the afternoons or evenings. So, gear up to do some morning exercises for weight loss.
Exercising in the morning offers a lot of benefits that can positively impact both physical and mental well-being. Firstly, it jumpstarts your metabolism, leading to increased calorie burn throughout the day, which can aid in weight loss, says Jashan Vij, a health and fat loss coach. Morning workouts also help to regulate circadian rhythms, promoting a consistent sleep-wake cycle, and potentially improving the quality of sleep. Also, morning exercise boosts endorphin production, enhancing mood and reducing stress and anxiety levels, setting a positive tone for the day. Moreover, exposure to natural light in the morning can help to regulate your body’s internal clock, enhancing alertness and cognitive function.
Best morning exercises for weight loss
There are some effective morning exercises that can aid in weight loss. Here are some of them:
1. Jumping jacks
• Stand with your feet placed close to each other and your arms at your sides.
• Execute a quick jump, simultaneously spreading your legs wide and lifting your arms overhead.
• Return to the starting position by jumping again, bringing your feet back together and lowering your arms to your sides.
2. High knees
• Start by standing with your feet hip-width to do this exercise.
• Initiate a jogging motion in place while elevating your knees as high as possible with each step. Maintain a brisk pace, suggests Vij.
• Start in a standing position then drop into a squat position, placing your hands on the ground and extending your feet into a plank position.
• Perform a push-up then swiftly return your feet to the squat position.
• Move yourself upwards into a jump, and reach your arms overhead.
4. Mountain climbers
• Commence in a plank position, with hands aligned under your shoulders.
• Alternately draw your knees toward your chest in a running-like motion.
• Keep your core activated and maintain a consistent pace throughout the exercise.
• To do plank, begin in a push-up position, with arms fully extended, elbows locked and toes supporting your body weight.
• Make sure your body is in a straight line right from your head to your heels, and hold the position for as long as you can.
These exercises engage multiple muscle groups, elevate your heart rate, and contribute to efficient calorie burning. High-intensity exercises like jumping jacks and burpees enhance heart and lung function, reducing the risk of cardiovascular diseases, says the expert. These exercises promote overall strength and endurance development. Regular practice can increase basal metabolic rate, facilitating calorie burn even at rest. Exercise triggers the release of endorphins, reducing stress, anxiety, and improving mood.
Warm up before exercising
Do a proper warm-up and progressively increase intensity and duration as your fitness level improves. People grappling with joint issues or ailments like arthritis should exercise care when engaging in high-impact exercises like jumping jacks and burpees as these movements can intensify joint discomfort and elevate the risk of injury. Women with a heart problem or expecting moms should also check with a doctor first.